PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Boeing lost their way
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2019, 21:28
RealUlli

Devil

Originally Posted by pittsspecialguy View Post
First, it’s Denis Muilenburg. Check your spelling. And yes, I worked with him and all CEOs back to 2000. PM me for proof. If he was sub-standard in his presentations, I can tell you that it was probably because he was just downright, old fashioned nervous. He’s an old—school guy and does not like PR spin. He tried his best. Even CEOs are not super-heroes and I doubt if he would want to gloss over anything. He’s too honest. I am convinced that he and Stan Deal will help to recover Boeing. They are decent human beings.

I'm absolutely sure he's a great guy. However, he is trying to steer a giant company by numbers and probably has a bunch of goals defined by the shareholders. He probably got the same problem as the guy with the peanut rack from another post, namely cost allocation. Safety is similar to IT: it's a cost center, but without it, you're f*cked. (I work in IT, I've seen what happens when a bean counter outsources critical parts of IT: no helpdesk, just a call center. Engineer's workstation broke. Took the contracting company a few days to set him up with a new one. All of a sudden, outsourcing is expensive, but nobody will admit to it...)

Second, I am not going to apologise for emotional language about a company I love. What especially grates with me is the commentary on this board that ultimately would affect thousands of blue collar workers who put their hearts and souls into building your aircraft. I am not going to comment on tools etc. Because I am honest enough to say I know nothing on this.
If you read the comments, you might have noticed that most of these blue collar workers are considered blameless for the situation.

Third, I made little comments re airplane design. I referred to pilots commenting on how to run a huge corporation. You guys run your office well. So how about a bigger office? The only pilot I know who now runs a corporation is Willle Walsh. So how about it guys, what’s your comment on that and let’s imagine you are now CEO of Boeing. What would you do next? — cue silence or do you all have the cojones to reply that one?!
I don't think a pilot should run Boeing. However, a pilot should have at least an equal say in the running of an airline. Maybe Boeing should be led by a team consisting of a pilot, an engineer and a guy who knows finance. I suspect Dennis was not qualified enough to keep the bean counters at bay, and not bold enough to make decisions that might not endear him to the shareholders but improve the long-term viability of the company. As someone else said, start on a new narrowbody, maybe even build a "mini-widebody" that is efficient enough to capture narrowbody marketshare. (Imagine a Do-328 Jet, just scaled up to 737 dimensions, with a high wing and 787 (like) engines. Maybe some fuselage sections designed for the 787 could be reused?)

Maybe establish a new Skunkworks to work on some really far-out ideas, e.g. a flying wing as long and wide as a 787, possibly with solar cells on top, a bunch of batteries and jet engines that are only spooled up during takeoff and landing... maybe re-visit some ideas from the past that were discarded because they were not viable with the technology back then but might be today...

I'm not even a pilot impersonator, I'm just SLF, but I'm interested in aviation and full of ideas.