PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Call Signs
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2019, 17:40
Gordomac

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, but who were the Geezers who invented the call signs and forced us to use them ? My pilot training was sponsored by BKS Air Transport , during the course, they re-branded and painted the aircraft yellow. Of course I was very proud to call myself "Northeast _ _ _ " whenever operating. But some joker decided to call us "Norjet". Felt very silly bombing around in a Viscount calling myself Norjet. Felt much more worthy after converting to T1e and blasting off to NCL from LHR at M0.86. After the rotten merger, another jobsworth decided to call us, now in BARD, "Albion". Worse, he justified this with a page long memo asking us to be proud of the history of the term "Albion". Nothing to do with my home team, Brighton & Hove Albion but a bunch of white (you could say that, then, ) Warriors who conquered , heaven knows what or when and then sought further credibility by justifying the fact that "Albion" complied with regulation requiring three syllables.

A brief and hateful (mutual ) period with Air 2 Bob had me cringing every time I announce I was "Jetset". Ghastly !

After a Glorious term with Transavia, I joined up with a new start that got quickly airborne by buying out some Light A/C Belgian cargo outfit and used their AOC with associated call-sign, " Moonrun " ! Lovely 757 outa Frankfurt for Palma & I suffered the indignity of calling myself " Moonrun _ _ _ " !

Thanks be to Allah that Gulfair called themselves, er, "Gulfair" . Much more settled and stayed with it for 17 years.

My question remains though, who were those Geezers ? Prizes for genuine names .