PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 25th Nov 2019, 04:20
GordonR_Cape

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rarife
Well, maybe I misunderstood something but what is the difference? It would be like flying with poorly trimmed aircraft. Trimmed nose down, I'm pulling back and aircraft does not climb or descend. I just need more pulling or force to get it "up".
Under MCAS 1.0 the linearity would be preserved, because the system could fire a second time if the pilot continued to pull up. With MCAS 2.0 this repeated triggering can no longer happen during a single event (or so we are told). If the crew continues to pull up (for whatever reason) they are effectively entering test-pilot territory.

The response may be linear the first time, but definitely not for sustained maneuvers. This was true very early in the discussion, and remains so. No half-cooked computer system such as MCAS can be safe, effective and reliable, all of the time.

Loose rivets I think this is more a reaction of disgust than alarm. All the attention is implying that the system is almost ready, and we can soon move forwards.

The recent comments from across the spectrum seem to emphasise that nobody is truly happy with this band-aid/kludge/fix, and that the aircraft/manufacturer/regulator are permanently tainted in the view of inquiring minds.