PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prostate cancer
Thread: Prostate cancer
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 19:37
Imagegear

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, here I am, 18 days after my full radical prostatectomy, and well along the road.

My Urologist was doing routine annual checks and noticed a slight swelling to the right side of the prostate. He said he would monitor and then my GP noticed a slight bounce from 4.0 to 4.8. on the PSA, then it returned to normal (4.0).
Back to see the Urologist and an MRI happened with an indication of 2 areas of concern within the core of the prostate.(Left and right quadrants). 24 point biopsy yielded Gleason:3.4 and 4.0 respectively.

Followed up with Bone Scan and Tissue scan: both clear. The choice became - radio or radical. if radio, later surgery was not possible!

At 73 no question to answer - Radical.. The Urologist recommended going wide to ensure that anything in the Nerve bundles or glands was caught.

Had some complications with Catheter positioning and Pelvic pain, but eventually resolved.

Home for a week now, very little pain at this stage, control over urine and other functions returning to normal.

Results - No encroachment outside of the core, nothing in the semen vesicles, so effectively clear.
I trampled a bit of a rough road but normally it would have been a 6 day stay.

Of one thing I am certain: the PSA score could easily have been missed if I was not being checked for other stuff and even then the Generalist had to recognise it for what it was. The urologist already had an inkling (and told me) so when I was referred for PSA and the blood test was normal, he pursued the MRI for a first look. After that I entered the mainstream diagnosis and medical panel recommendation process.

The best of news overall, Physio starts next week.

Imagegear