PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WW2 - Sunderlands - My father
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 16:04
Chugalug2

Received 221 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Davidsa

The notes include several diagrams of the VP propeller mechanisms but from what I can see there is no mention of there being just two settings. Maybe there were lots of variations.
The classic illustration of the transition from fixed pitch to fully variable pitch constant speed propellers is of course the Spitfire. By WWII the early fixed pitch two bladed wooden propellers of the Mk1 had been replaced by two pitch propellers. This was an improvement but still left the advantage very much with the opposition. It is often related how De-Haviland (which had UK rights to the Hamilton Standard design) servicing teams were touring the Fighter Command Stations replacing these two pitch propellers with their three bladed ones fitted with CSUs, just in time for the strategically all important Battle of Britain. Other types no doubt went through a similar transition at about this time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superm...Mk_I_(Type_300)

We had an ex Sunderland pilot on 30 Sqn when we flew the Hastings. He always said that with operating the 'boats you needed to know as much about Seamanship as you did about Airmanship!