PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lossiemouth Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2019, 14:20
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
I see that Nicola Sturgeon wants to stop Brexit and have a referendum on Scottish Independence, amongst other things.

In her own words the ‘once in a generation’ referendum claim was only due to be revoked in light of Brexit being a material change to the state of the UK.

If we don’t Brexit, surely there would be no justification for another Indyref. Or am I missing something?

BV
https://webarchive.nationalarchives....or-signing.pdf

The 2014 Referendum was superintended by the 2012 Edinburgh Agreement between David Cameron and Alex Salmond. This is the legality and what gave the referendum life. If you can find anything in it that says this was a "once in a generation referendum" I'll happily donate a tenner to a charity of your choice. The "once in a generation" is a bit like "will of the people", a nebulous phrase that has somehow achieved quasi legal status. In fact, in one interview (with Andrew Marr below), Alex Salmond said the referendum is the kind of opportunity that comes around "probably once in a generation" but that this was "only his personal opinion". In the interview, he qualified his opinion twice with the caveat that it was only his personal opinion.