PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 24th Nov 2019, 10:22
Three Lions

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For all the analysis, the expert and intelligent opinion on this thread alone, it’s clear the 737 has been designed right upto, and perhaps slightly over what the overriding aircraft type is capable of accepting.

it isnt the only type that has gone up the edge of what is possible. But engineering fix over engineering fix in the name of progress and improvement is one thing, but time will tell whether the unfortunate incidents were sciences way of stepping in with the 737 and saying enough is enough, possibly decades after someone in Boeing should have made the ballsy decision.

Posters mention “murky” in relation to the desperate teams over in the US trying in as cost effective way as they are able to navigate the MAX back into service, One thing that is extremely clear to me my close family my friends, mostly non aviation linked - is that the companies who end up with the MAX or unfortunately already own the MAX and can’t cost effectively rid it from their fleets without loss of face or substantial amounts of loss of finance, then its going to be extremely difficult to encourage joe public onto these jets. I’m speaking outside our sphere of understanding about the finer points of PoF and complex jet control systems. Basic general public level of understanding.

A few “software updates” and supplemental sim training may satisfy the American regulators, and name changes may disguise the fact which aircraft the MAX actually is (I think it’s safe to say the media is in the starting blocks, ready for the exclusives with this particular part of the strategy) however, from a personal level, I know I shall check every airlines fleet list to ascertain who has these jets, and won’t be booking short haul flights with any company with these types. I am absolutely sure I won’t be alone with this strategy. There’s an old Latin saying somewhere that roughly translates to buyer beware that fits this scenario perfectly.

I strongly suspect this this may be the much bigger problem than the reported “murky” dealings trying to get this jet back into service.

It most likely will go back into service, possibly early next year. As stated, I won’t be getting on one, neither will many people I have spoken to recently either. I’ve personally not engaged in conversation other than to say make your own mind up.

How Boeing fix this is going to make interesting viewing. The cost to buy these jets will now be bargain basement prices, so there will be the bait for airlines to buy them. But at what risk. Losing customers to competitors without MAX in their fleets, may be the biggest economic decision many airlines make in their lifetime.