PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lossiemouth Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 20th Nov 2019, 21:57
alwayslookingup

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by HAS59
Mil-26Man
Flawed logic there old chap ... The UK Independent Deterrent is in Scottish territory - there's no way that this asset would end up in Scottish hands, nor would Scotland get the P-8 Fleet. The model that works is that of 'UK' assets based in former UK locations, owned by UK but providing local revenue for the host nation.
In any 'divvied-up' scenario see post 18 above for some light on the subject.
I hate to say, but if Scotland becomes Independent and the SNP is successful in the ensuing General Election, then negotiations will immediately commence on the continued status of the submarine based nuclear deterrent based in Scottish waters. As I discussed above, if the fleet and operations were to be relocated south of the border, an independent England would have to finance the leasing/replacement of the four subs, the warhead handling facility (currently Coulport) and the dock/refit area, Faslane, and the ship lift. Cost of this will run into billions, difficult when Englands economy and GDP will automatically reduce by circa 8.5% on becoming independent. And that doesn't take into account the loss of approx 80% of the oil and gas reserves that will devolve to Scotland. Instead of making silly statements on providence and divvy up of joint assets, why not get into a negotiation mode? And, as I've said at least twice above, how will a newly independent England mount a QRA from within its own borders? QRA from Leeming wouldn't be very Q.