PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diversion Failure in Skills Test
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2019, 12:42
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by admuffin
....... Does anyone have any tips on how to plan the diversion without getting disorientated in the process?
admuffin, check your PMs. There are some natty devices which make plotting diversions in flight (inc wind adjustment) a doddle and v quick so I've Messaged you (so I don't fall foul of advertising rules and regs!) the details of what I/my students use/used. You can even practice the art of planning diversions in a confined area like a cockpit .... at home .... in your own "confined area simulator" .... your downstairs loo (NB Only invite the intructor in on that if you are real good friends with him/her!!!!!! ). That bit can be done at nil cost.

Once happy with the plotting technique getting the info onto the chart on your knee (incl the 6 minute marks, MSA checks etc), you simply practice drawing that up while flying and, as I said earlier, you don't even need to fly the re-planned leg - you just get used to plotting while flying - which should take no more than a minute or 2 (assuming you have a good idea where you are to start with...). The flying bit to your new destination is really no different to normal Nav and is more a confidence boost than anything else - except you are just now working off your chart. As someone said, you are not doing the "perfect job" - but you'll be amazed just how accurate it is.

As x993 says as well, your Instructor should have made sure you could do this on your own before you were put forward for Test. Good luck for your re-Test! Cheers, H 'n' H