PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying School Owner makes AFR rich list
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2019, 22:05
swells

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The name is Porter
Registering as an RTO has NOTHING to do with FEE-HELP. There are multiple schools with RTO status.
Correct, and SOAR https://training.gov.au/Organisation/Details/22488 wasn't using their own RTO, they were using Box Hill approval

While I dont want to comment on another flying school operator directly, I feel part of the issue with aviation traning is that there are too many regulators who dont talk to each other ... and aren't really competent in each others business

I.e., ASQA regulates Box Hill through the RTO (and would assess the legitimacy of the third party arrangement), Department of Education and Training (DET) manages the VET Student Loans ... potentially only dealing with Box Hill. CASA would talk to Soar (nothing to do with Box Hill) and I assume RAAus would be in the mix in some way shape or form ...

But no one regulator has the whole picture

Obviously I have a vested interest so I am a fan of VET Student Loans, it has expanded our business, I've put on more staff, more aircraft ... but I drive a Commodore and I still have a mortgage.

$75K certainly isn't a stupid amount to charge for a CPL if using GA ("modern") aircraft, proper staffing, proper maintennace, proper systems ... following the rules etc etc

But yes I think there could be greater transparancy, more input by the government and a process to make it easier for students to compare flying schools - ASQA is slowing going this way, but I'll believe it when i see it

Shannon