Old 14th Nov 2019, 13:38
Hawker400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second hand account but haven't seen it posted. Maybe it helps someone

Feedback Air Astana Screening 11-2019

First day:

Compass Test with a Personality Test CPP

Compass divided into 6 parts

• Maths: time limited (10 minutes), 24 questions, unable moving to next the question without answering the previous one.
• Multitasking (with standard keyboard, not laptop's keyboard): select altitude, speed and heading with key arrows while cancelling warnings by pressing the digit numbers on the calculator Keybord
• Shot term memory: memorize from 1 to 4 parameters and after that you'll have to type them on the following screen, I wrote down the numbers on a paper and then I typed on the proper place, I was allowed to and I did that, it's more demanding, but in my opinion there is less chance of typing wrong numbers
• Spacial awareness: 10 minutes of exercise, 3 instruments, one fixed ADF, one attitude indicator and one fixed compass, basically identify which airplane represents the instruments correct reading
• Advanced flight control: fly a Fight Director with a joystick, step on the ball with a rudder and keep the speed of 170kt with de up/down arrow of the laptop keyboard, generally movements between Fight Director and ball stepping don't have any relation to real fight controls feedback
• ATPL: 30 questions in approximately 20 minutes, but it's not time limited. Questions different from LTJ question bank, but it's not difficult, some questions like icing conditions pretty similar to the text found in the Airbus FCOM. I believe ACE is a better reading to get prepared.

CPP (Checklist Professional Profile) is a personality questionnaire, it consists of 225 personal statements, choose the statement that fits you best. The instruction is to give the first answer that comes to your mind. There are no right or wrong answers, it's not time limited.

Second day:

Simulator briefing for me and more 3 pilots, after that individual quick interview about aviation background and few technical questions, they asked me to explain mechanical backup, TOGA LOCK function, definition of stall and its associated pitch tendency (high speed swept wing aircraft and on small single engine plane)

Simulator session, AMS to BRU, captain as PF, engines were started but we had to taxi from terminal to Rwy 24, normal takeoff and climb, crossing FL 080 HYD G Res OVHT, perform ECAM, landing assessment, CCCP, company says it may be repaired in BRU, continue to destination, go around, landing gear not retracted, simulator freezes, end of exercise.

Captain repositioned to take off, engine failure without damage, reaching status page,simulator freezes, end of exercise.

First officer take off, after rotation loud bangs on engine 2, pull speed, engine stall paper C/L, after turning anti ice ON, engine recovered, repositioned for ILS approach raw data with auto thrust ON. Interception and landing performed with crosswind of 25 kts, BIRD ON.

End of simulator assessment.

At night another interview at the hotel business room, 2 pilots and a HR manager, many personal and background questions, including why Air Astana, what difficults you will face about living in Kazakhstan, strength and weakness as a pilot, and that's it.

No feedback, result will be sent by the agency in 1 or 2 weeks.