PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I have some sad news to relate to you all, Grolsch will no longer be sold in the UK
Old 14th Nov 2019, 08:18
Stu666

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pax britanica
I used to work close to M4 J 11 Reading west right by the big brewery there. every day . Different day different tankers different beer-all made in the same place with same water and probably the same materials just with small variations but then I am not a fan of 'foreign lagers' that have brewed in UK in small letters on the label.
Trouble with most of the big breweries is it's all about maximising profits - quantity over quality. Their brewers are little more than cooks working to a script. A relation of mine works for a successful microbrewery who make some of the most stunning craft beers I have ever tasted. They were interested in mass producing one of their popular beers, but without losing the quality which so often happens once you cross the line into mass production. They approached one of the big breweries about a potential partnership and went to have a look around. They realised that, although the big firm had the necessary kit many times over, they didn't actually have the skills to produce it. Nor were they prepared to expand their knowledge. Not prepared to sacrifice their good reputation, the microbrewery had to knock it on the head unfortunately.

Very rare that I drink a UK-produced lager these days, there's just no going back with the amazing variety of craft beers now available.