PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a microlight on an NPPL(SSEA)
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2019, 21:49
rkgpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
To fly Microlight Aeroplanes, an NPPL(SSEA) holder must meet the requirements listed above, then apply for the inclusion of a Microlight Class Rating in his/her NPPL.

This isn't the same for PPL holders - they may fly Microlights by simply taking the relevant differences training, provided that they hold a valid SEP Class Rating (or have valid LAPL SEP privileges).

The main advantage of holding an NPPL with both Microlight and SSEA Class Ratings is that such pilots may take advantage of consolidated revalidation criteria to maintain the validity of both Class Ratings.
I’m a fairly new CRI(A) on an EASA PPL and have had microlight differences training. I also hold a UK PPL (post-JAR version). I do not yet have a NPPL.

I want to do a bit of CRI work at a flying school/club where the main aim is to give members differences training to add SSEA privileges. The club members are mainly NPPL(M) holders but some NPPL(SSEA) holders who want to convert the other way.

I thought I understood this, but I’ve severely confused myself 😐

1) Has the position in the quoted post changed in the last couple of years or do NPPL(SSEA) licence holders still need to do the microlight test with an examiner?

2) Can I conduct the training for such folk using my EASA PPL and then recommend them to the examiner? Or must a FI do such training?

3) For LAPL(A) and PPL(A) licence holders wanting to fly microlights, I understand that I can conduct microlight differences training and the licence holder doesn’t need anything more than my signature in his/her log book?

4) If I want a NPPL(M) myself, is it correct that I'll need to do a test?

5) For the NPPL(M) holders, is differences training to add SSEA sufficient without test and can I do it?

6) Anything else I should know before I get asked to sign a log book?

Thanks in advance for bringing clarity to my mind 😀