PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Whistleblower Reveals Tankering of Fuel - BBC
Old 11th Nov 2019, 01:08
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BA Whistleblower Reveals Tankering of Fuel - BBC

The latest environmental hit piece on the airlines.

Climate change: Airlines accused of 'putting profit before planet'

By Justin Rowlatt Chief environment correspondent
A British Airways whistleblower has revealed an industry-wide practice that deliberately adds weight to flights, increasing greenhouse gas emissions.

"Fuel tankering" sees planes filled with extra fuel, usually to avoid paying higher prices for refuelling at their destination airports.

It could mean extra annual emissions equivalent to that of a large town.

BA said it was common to carry extra fuel for "operational, safety and price reasons".

BBC Panorama has discovered the airline's planes generated an extra 18,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide last year through fuel tankering.

Cost savings made on a single flight can be as small as just over £10 - though savings can run to hundreds of pounds.

Researchers have estimated that one in five of all European flights involve some element of fuel tankering.

The practice on European routes could result in additional annual greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to that produced by a town of 100,000 people.

Eurocontrol described the practice as "questionable" at a time when aviation is being challenged for its contribution to climate change.

But the BA whistleblower said: "I've been a BA employee for a long time.

"I'm very proud to be part of BA but in all honesty it makes me sad and disappointed."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50365362