PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NHS Medical records issues
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2019, 22:42
lcolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UV
I have just spent a week in hospital having a tumour removed and during a quiet period examined my notes at the bottom of the bed. The folder had only been partially completed and numerous details were missing. I compare this document to a tech log and, if this had been the aviation industry, there would have been in serious trouble.

I was told on numerous occasions to ask if I wanted extra pain relief, which I did, and nothing happened. I was supposed to have 2 anaesthetic injections per day and rarely got more than one...sometimes at midnight...sometimes none at all.

On discharge day the Surgeon said I could go, another doctor said I needed to stay in overnight for a 10 hour Potassium slow drip top up.

The final straw came on the last day when the Consultant told me not to take any more Aspirin as I was to go on a self administered injection. The nurse who was doing the medication rounds was still standing there and had literally given me aspirin one minute before.

To me the NHS suffers from a complete lack of communication and dreadful record keeping. Nothing I read here surprises me at all.
I agree, imagine an engineer doing their job to the same standards. They would be sacked.

I think there is too much defense of the NHS and not enough pragmatism.

Good luck with your recovery. I hope all goes well for you going forward.