PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 8th Nov 2019, 09:17
NFPAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunfish
By definition, the alleged Qantas target for gender representation means that qualified male candidates will be passed over in favor of female candidates that meet threshold minimum requirements until such time as the target is deemed to be achieved. Basic maths.

That means also by definition that males with equal or higher skill levels than women will be rejected.
I do wonder how much this is going on in reality though.

I am female, work at QANTAS and have a degree in aviation. I also hold a PPL and have lots of volunteer work in aviation. The application specifically asks about volunteering, studying, etc.

Got rejected for the cadetship on the first stage. All the successful applicants (male and female) had less flying experience than me. They want ab initio pilots.

So whilst there is a big push for female pilots, it really do see to be exaggerated here: eg it common to see in the recruiting threads claims that being female is “guarantee” for a pilot spot. The cadetship is the lowest skilled entry point for their pilots so if they’re going to ignore qualifications in favour of gender wouldn’t they start at the easiest level?

As for the sexual harassment thing: in my experience sexual harassment appears to be commonplace in aviation. I’ve see it in other areas like air traffic control, and even at the local aero club. I personally found that it was older men who would insist on calling every woman “girly” or “darling” who were the worst perpetrators. I can’t think of anytime I had a problem with a younger person.