PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Autoland "Current"?
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2019, 05:45
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
You can watch the complete autoland set up and landing here -
and this one explains more

My first fully automatic flight seen from the cockpit was many years ago on a Britannia Airways Boeing 767-200ER from Ibiza to Gatwick
I was airline operations staff for many years.
I was on the jump seat and the Captain, a friend of mine said he was going to do a fully automatic flight - The weather was perfect at departure airport, en-route and for our arrival at LGW.
He just wanted to keep his currency and I was in awe how he uses and sets up, the auto pilot, radios, FMC, auto throttle, autoland, ILS, auto brake, and speed brakes/spoliers to perform a fully automatic flight, decent, approach and landing.

He taxied the 767 to the runway set T/O thrust, we started the roll, rotated and climbed away.
Set up of the FMC and Autopilot etc put our 767 on course for the way-points set and thence to LGW, and apart from raising/lowering the gear and flap levers at take off, and for the landing, he did not touch the aircraft yoke or throttles again until after we landed -

On approach to LGW the radio boxes and AP were all set up for our aircraft to pick up the Glide slope and ILS for an autoland,

Flaps and the gear were lowered, autobrake and speed brakes had been armed, so we sat there hands off (as we had been since our take off) and the 767 greased onto LGW's runway.
The aircraft braked itself with the autobrake, and the ground spoilers extended automatically once the Main gear had compressed.
The Captain only then reached for, and retarded the throttles, put the engines into idle reverse thrust and he used the rudder pedals to keep the 767 on the centre line as it slowed down.
Reverse was cancelled.
He then took over with nose wheel steering to turn the 767 off the runway - He was then back controlling the 767.

There you go. Hands Off all the way from IBZ to LGW in a 767.