PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 7th Nov 2019, 04:49
DutchRoll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruprecht
I agree that the individual does not know if they have been recruited due to a quota, but someone in that group most certainly has. Recruiting to a quota is discrimination, no matter how you spin it.

I would have thought a woke company like Qantas would be aware of that...
The fact that "someone" would know is irrelevant to the original comment. The comment implied that it is the female pilot recruits who are the problem, the female pilot recruits who have no self respect, and the female pilot recruits who have all the power to magically detect if they were part of a recruitment quota or not, and wave their arms in the air to make it stop. All of which is complete nonsense.

In a 30 year aviation career I've not yet felt the inclination while flying with one of the girls (including very recent recruits) to grab the fork off the crew meal tray and stab myself in the eyeball just to end the misery of having to listen to them ramble on about politics, how great they are at flying, how much more of an expert they are than people who actually have accredited expertise on a given topic, or how many of the opposite sex they've slept with recently. Regrettably when flying with male colleagues, my eyeballs are often at risk. And that's all aside from the fact that I've seen no quantifiable difference in flying standards - after all, they do ultimately pass the same course, irrespective of how they ended up with a position on it.

I just think we guys could show a tiny bit of decency by not automatically assuming that any given new female recruit has used some sort of sneaky nefarious means to get where she is, and that if she passed the course and is released to the line as a new QF long haul pilot, then maybe, just maybe, she actually met the required standard and we can afford her the same level of respect as the guys who passed that same course. Alas, this is becoming far too much to ask for some of my male brethren and disparaging off-the-cuff remarks are becoming par for the course for some of them. It's almost like they actually think these girls have stolen their manhood or something.