PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAI into Clutha crash opens
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2019, 19:04
Flying Bull

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxR
FB - I'm not sure that's the case. The calculation would have shown him that he had about 75kg left - which he did - the problem is not how much fuel he had (enough for a good twenty minutes) but where it was, ie not in the supply tanks. Or have I misunderstood something?
Well, checking where the fuel is, when you get a warning, is part of the checklist.
Evenso I landed under minimum fuel required (a couple of times), I always had a very close eye, on where my fuel was (balancing it in another ship) to avoid an early flame out.
20 min was less than required for landing by the operator.
Going below minimum fuel can happen in aviation - but I think, a very very good reason is required to accept this extra risk - i.e. a life saving mission.
And when doing so, evaluating the associated risks - and having a plan B, in case of miscalculating the fuel available.
We donīt have the police control information here - but the flight path, hovering here, hovering there, which doesnīt really implement, that they found somebody where the ground forces needed guidons to rescue them.
I know, at the moment Iīm more the devils advocate - but thats my point of view.