PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Frequency Boundaries continued.
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2003, 12:33
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodown
4711, doesn't TAAATS provide a level of protection by alerting controllers to conflicting traffic in conjunction with transponder-equipped aircraft and SSR? ... Taken in isolation, each one of these technologies would not be trusted as a 'last line of defense' but when the entire system is considered, then I don't have a problem with this aspect of NAS.

I am still in two minds about NAS, but surely if the technology allows us to advance and make the airspace more user friendly for all while raising capacity and at the same time without impinging on the operations of the big boys, then I am all for it.
That's just it; you are talking about 'radar' alerts; the problems are not where we will have radar and the paints are showing; it's everywhere else, 85% is outside or below radar, so no collision alerts there I'm affraid.

How many alerts are 'real'; if TCAS was as unreliable as TAAATS alerts, you'd have thrown them out before you installed them. Example today, IFR in C A090, overflew a IFR in G showing A084 (maintaing A080) opposite direction, the Short Term Collision Alert (STCA) went off after they had passed, then it stayed active, i.e. telling me wrong info for 4 minutes.

Use the technology, awsure, as a user the technology sucks; we keep saying it, nobody listens because it's the 'worlds best'. Only automated system, blah blah blah, french rubbish that needs multi millions spent on it to correct the 19000+ software issues (non critical faults), let alone improved, modern functionallity.

Bottle of Rum