PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas’ search for female pilots has led to more workplace harassment - Quartz
Old 5th Nov 2019, 18:10
Orange future

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
“I know girls that have came out of sims crying (some laughing) as they believe they‘ve just butchered every component of their sim...had their letter of offer a few weeks later.”

Indeed, and I know boys that have done exactly the same thing.

“The US BLS conducted a long term longitudinal study in the gender pay gap finding a small one existed.”

The BLS study found that on average women are paid about 20% less than men in the US. Small difference?

“The mind boggles as to the crewing arrangement should these pilots decide that they would also like children.”

Australia is a typical developed country, an aging population with a declining birth rate. It is an economic imperative for Australians to have more children.
Progressive countries have figured out that accommodating child birth within the labor market is not only morally prudent but economically mandatory.

“By definition, the alleged Qantas target for gender representation means that qualified male candidates will be passed over in favor of female candidates that meet threshold minimum requirements until such time as the target is deemed to be achieved.”

It doesn't mean this at all.

“She has complained about the level of entitlement of young women these days”

As apposed to the level of entitlement of men displayed here on this thread in a discussion about an industry staffed almost entirely by…..men?

The younger generation are all entitled, boys and girls alike.

“Thats probably true but in my experience a large percentage of women drop by the wayside over the span of the average career. Few seem to want to be 60 year old pilots.”

Several things about this comment. Firstly, perhaps you could provide some data to support this claim instead of just using your “experience”. And secondly……so what if women want to retire earlier than men. Hats off to them.

“those most loudly decrying these quotas are the old school female pilots.”

Just to be clear, QF do not use quotas in the employment process and have not indicated an intention to do so.

“I've had one pilot say to me with a straight face that female pilots shouldn't be rostered together because all they'll do is argue”

A rather laughable sentiment particularly in reference to Qantas.