PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Original chippy paint scheme
View Single Post
Old 2nd Nov 2019, 14:01
possel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one has mentioned the RN Chipmunks at Roborough. I recall (while at HQRAFSC c.1987) that we had a contract with Slingsbys to repaint a number of Chipmunks including a couple of RN ones. The delivery pilot (ex RAF) told me that he thought it was odd, when he arrived there with their first aircraft after repaint, that all the ones he could see were slightly different to the one he was in. It turned out that the Navy had repainted them at some stage and made various changes to the official drawings (which were of course the ones referenced in the contract). I think the differences incuded the colour of the canopy, the amount of red on the wingtips and the position of the roundel on the wing (but there may have been more).

We also sorted replacement aircraft (WG466 & WG486) for Gatow, as they wanted the up to date radio (I forget if that was UHF or VHF) instead of the 10 channel jobs. Then they said they wanted them in grey not red and white, so I told Shawbury to use the correct drawing but to use grey where it said "red" or "white"! WG486 is with the BBMF now; it had been repainted in black but is now in grey/dayglo.