PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 30th Oct 2019, 15:40
OldnGrounded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WillowRun 6-3
Again I'm not taking bets but if discovery had olfactory sense or dimension I would say I can smell it, the reams of printed information, emails, etc., showing a kind of mirror image of actions and omissions intended to keep the whole mess quiet, keep it low-key.
Just pause for a moment and imagine the deposition outline for Forkner -- yeah I know he's taken the Fifth (but if offered immunity, what then?). Every conversation with anyone at B about the MCAS? Block out a week on my calendar, baby-cakes.
All the good lawyers I've worked with definitely bring strong and refined olfactory senses to the discovery process. I'm confident that the good ones signing up with plaintiffs in the various litigations arising from the MAX debacle are sniffing out utterly devastating storylines.

Don't you think there's a pretty good chance that the prosecutors will grant Forkner immunity? He's in such a central place in the story that his value as a witness must far outweigh any desire to prosecute him individually.

Boeing is probably going to be extremely reluctant to let any of the (how many?) suits go to trial, while the plaintiffs are going to be highly resistant to lowball settlements, because their counsel is likely to be quite comfortable with bringing the cases to juries. I think the big unknown is just how huge a number the total of the judgments/settlements will be. Could it, along with the rest of the costs of this disaster, be enough to present an existential threat to Boeing?