PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester-2
Thread: Manchester-2
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2019, 07:52
116d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FFMAN
Yep - sorry to conflate the Barbados specifc issue with the wider VS at MAN issue. I'm more likely to be found on the JFK or ATL routes. In particular, I've flown MAN-ATL for years. The old Delta 767s despite being long in the tooth offered a good J Class product. The VS A333s that took over the route were also pretty good. Whilst number crunchers and air enthusiasts would see the recent VS 747s as an upgrade; to the J Class passenger, it's a serious downgrade. I love the old iconic Jumbos even now as a pax but in reality they are far from a premium product in the twilight of their days.
I would argue the limited number of Upper seats is a problem with the 747 on the JFK and ATL route. I was made up last year when I booked MAN-JFK when it was initially allocated an A330 but changed to a 747 several months later, though these are both routes where Upper capacity can be increased and filled easily. The remaining 747's only have 14 Upper seats, whereas the long-gone LHR-based 747's had more and likewise with the A330's. I did VS127/128 last November and on both flights the loadings were just under 400 passengers, so on their 747's with 455 seats that's an 87% load factor - though last Winter they operated JFK and ATL on alternate days and when I was waiting for my case at MAN it was noticeable from other luggage tags how many had transferred off other DL flights at JFK.

To add to the discussion about Upper demand, I expect that to increase next year when VS open their Clubhouse lounge in the new T2 building. I have known of people to fly from LHR/LGW with their Clubhouses to get the full Upper Class experience, whereas MAN Upper passengers have to use the Escape Plus lounge instead. They will also steal a march over their TATL rivals out of MAN that don't have lounges of their own, though I think some passengers who are on the AA flights can use the BA Lounge in T3.

We'll see what loadings are like this winter given both are operating on more days and smaller aircraft are being used on some days.

Last edited by 116d; 25th Oct 2019 at 10:14.