PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 14:33
bulldog89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyingmed
@ bulldog89 It sounds like you are already set into the market. You seem to have a job which although you may not be 100% satisfied with you still are not an unemployed pilot with minimal experience. I am referring to the subject of this forum "Unemployed pilots fATPL holders". There are many pilots in this category that wonder why they get left behind, sometimes it is simply because they are not as willing to move in order to secure a job. They then complain on PPrune and other sites that the market is unfair and make excuses for their own lack of enthusiasm and willingness to fight for their goals.

There are only very few who are lucky enough to stay close to home throughout an aviation career. I have only been flying commercially for 15 years now and have already lived in over 5 countries, moved my family to 4 different countries (2 continents), 3 different schools for my kids.... I guess I am trying to say that there are people out there who are very willing and capable, this determination is very apparent at interviews, hence why some people really stand out amongst the crowd of fATPL holders. Especially when the interviewers can't count on experience, they will grade you on what you can bring to the company.
If your post is aimed to unemployed people then I pretty much agree with your points, even if the part about "lowering industry T&C" and "the right to leave the industry at any time" is still valid.

And you're right, I'm quite satisfied with my job.
The only thing that I miss is flying, as I think private flying in the free time is just a big waste of money. But I have to admit that if I'd ever be able to do some para-launching in my spare time I won't even think about becoming an airline pilot.

What I can say to unemployed students is: make sure this is what you really want, because with that amount of money you could also set up a small aviation company, which probably it won't make you rich, but it will give you an honest salary and a good amount of free time. BUT if at anytime you feel this is not the right path for you just find something else and move on.