PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Olympus Aviation Academy (Greece)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 20:58
John John

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings Giorgio. I would advise you to stay as far as you can from this school. I was a student there not long ago. What I had found out was that this so called 'academy' had two serious accidents in the recent past (the first involving the head of training as captain in charge) and the school had to close down for some time under impending investigations.

There is only one graduate on the ATPL-integrated course in the seven years this school is operating. The flight training takes forever while students who have paid in advance are trapped there waiting to get flying hours (the pay as you fly policy is a joke and a luring trick for potential students).

Once the installments are paid in advance communication with the head of training becomes difficult and everything slows down. It is even worse for foreign ATPL-integrated students who have to pay 11000 euros in advance for their visa.

Many of them had to leave because they were drained both financially and psychologically by overextended time schedules and idleness (of course they received no refund of their fees). The main source of discontent amongst students was and is the very scarce availability of aircrafts and instructors. OAA has only two Cessna's through leasing, from which only one is operating to my knowledge. Add the fact that there are approximately 30 stagnant students waiting to fly and you do the math. I left as soon as I discovered those clues.

I will not advertise any flight schools in Greece (what you choose is your own business) and I have nothing to gain from what I am writing here. Nevertheless I implore any of you to not even think of this school as a viable choice and if you do, please think about it twice and investigate thoroughly. It's your future and your money you are putting at risk.

PS. Since I can't post any URL's here yet, you should search on google and type olympus aviation academy crash and you will see a 01/2018 link. Click it and you shall find an AAIASB report regarding their first accident (which occured at 22.3.2015 on Axios river, Greece).

Secondly you can copy and paste this greek sentence on google search: Ξάνθη: Συντριβή μονοκινητήριου αεροσκάφους and you will find news and photos on CNN Greece about their second crash (12.11.2018 at Neos Zygos airport, Xanthi). (regretfully the article is in greek, so you should google translate).

Best of luck

Last edited by John John; 22nd Jan 2020 at 19:21.