PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Recruitment
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 01:54
bding

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qantas Pilot Academy

Hi everyone,

*long post incoming*
I've read through the previous 50 pages of this thread, took me a while! I didn't really find the answer that I was looking for, but knowing me I probably overlooked it in the 50 pages I read

I'm currently 18 and have always wanted to become a pilot for Qantas since I was in kindergarten. When I was 16 I disregarded the dream job of a pilot and I really can't remember why I did, I think it was because mum wanted me to stay on the ground if I'm to be honest! So I moved onto something else that was in aviation which was Air Traffic Control, but of course a year later I got rid of that for some reason (but this time I don't know why). Then I moved onto IT in uni (which I'm doing now), even with my GPA of 7, I started to think about the Qantas Group Pilot Academy, long story short I *think* I have my eyes back on aviation again.

I've read a few conflicting thoughts on the actual academy throughout the 50 pages that I have read, some say it's just a gimmick and you'll end up no where whereas some say that it would be good. People say that you should get into piloting whilst your young for seniority (or just get into the airline you want your career at whilst your young), but is it just gonna give me a huge debt and no job at all? Considering that it'll cost me somewhere around $125,000, which I can loan, does it even qualify me for direct entry into Qantas? I was looking at the requirements for direct entry (either as SO or FO) and it seemed higher than what you actually get in the academy? Could someone help answer that? The academy would probably be the best option for me, I don't have the money to train through a flight school in my local area.

I've also read someone said that it is Qantas Group Pilot Academy, so does that mean QantasLink and Jetstar too?

I've read heaps of things online about the life as a pilot, and I understand that this is a Qantas recruitment thread, and whilst I'd be doing it for the love of planes since I have been young and not for the money at all, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information on this thread about the pay of Capt/FO/SO? I've gone through the EBA of Qantas but it's all dutch to me

All in all I just really want to know is it worth it? Will it lead into a career with Qantas or just give me a big debt? FO or SO? Do I just apply for jobs after the academy as I'd be qualified from the academy? I see that I can lead into the Qantas Future Pilot Program from the academy, but they're 'selected' people. I assume you need to be a high performer. Surely the application questions into the academy are just a short amount? They were pretty basic, didn't seem like an application at all! I've gone over the website a million times so I essentially know the whole academy website inside out, but I have applied for an ATC job which I should hear back from this week. What's the way to go? I'll still be waiting for months to hear back from Qantas, but even then, what's their selection process?

I think that's all for now, I'd still have a million things in my mind that I needed to ask but I just can't think of it all right now.

Thanks everyone