PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 wiper motor fuselage o-ring
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2019, 08:29
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
A genuine question from an Airbus pilot: Don’t Airbus provide comprehensive instructions?
You have not spent much time lying under cars hitting them with hammers?

I have never worked on aircraft but here is an example of something that might not be detailed in a car manual.

Cars and boats have things like this, I expect aircraft do too. It can be the very devil to get the pin through. The end of the pin is often exactly square (since it would be more expensive to grind a taper) or if not new they can be mushroomed slightly by miss-handling.

30 seconds on with a bench grinder to taper the end very slightly and it slips in a treat.

End shown below with clear taper - OUTSIDE of the loaded area of the pin.

I have no idea if a Licensed aircraft mechanic is allowed to make such a modification but I would expect so. I would think that they need work experience and not simply paper exams to qualify. I have seen many examples of both Haynes style and Manufacturers workshop manuals for cars and I have NEVER seen one suggest the trick above.

I used it only last summer on a boat - it turned a twice yearly 20 minute struggle with hammers and screwdrivers and ropes and winches to get the damn forestay back on (12 ton yacht) into a 10 second business with no swearing, sweating or chaffed knuckles.

The coin of course has another side - a forklift is not the same as an engine cradle. The trick is not to go too far.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...nes_Flight_191

Last edited by jimjim1; 21st Oct 2019 at 08:42.