PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2019, 09:34
Saab0409

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few TCX pilots have been prioritised, screened, offers made, accepted and have start dates. Mix of 320/350 offers. Not a lot and not a threat to remaining hold poolers. Don’t know exact numbers but this is from a trainer.

For 2020 the numbers vary greatly. Brexit, possible economic downturn, TCX demise, perhaps another airline going bankrupt in LGW, who knows? It all has a massive impact on recruitment. Even the IA going on will influence the bean counters. And that’s the biggest point, we need pilots, desperately. But not a single one has been approved yet by the budget. The airline is run by finances, they approve the budget and then flight OPS will try their best to make it work. Frustrating for all. We on the line feel the beating of the whip and could use the extra ladies and gents!

Before anybody asks, numbers ranging from 0 recruitment (highly unlikely) to 400 (highly unlikely) for next year. So somewhere in the middle? I joined BA 2 years ago on SH, gave up a regional jet command. Is it perfect? No, far from it. But after surviving three struggling airlines, this is a breath of fresh air!

is it hard work? Yes. Am I happy I did it? Yes. Long term vision is key. I couldn’t see myself commuting to a 6-3 pattern regional job on an old jet. 4-5 sectors a day for the rest of my career. Get in, do your thing, have fun on the line (interesting destinations and lovely people to fly with 99 out of a 100).

Just my two cents