PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about Sea King ASW
View Single Post
Old 19th Oct 2019, 16:39
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To All,

There have been some really good inputs to this thread (not including mine), thanks for awakening some old memories. Perhaps a couple of other observations might help underline what the RN's ASW crews and maintainers achieved down south in 82:

The RN's planning assumptions for the Sea King ASW squadrons were (I have been told) that a 'ripple 3' could be maintained safely for 14 days. (This was, I understood, derived from the Cold War scenario where our main task would be to get supply convoys from the US across the pond whilst fighting off the Soviet submarine hordes. Perhaps someone out there can confirm this). This also assumed that the squadron had enough maintainers to work in two watches, usually 8 hours on, 8 hours off. It also assumed 1.5 crews per aircraft. It was intended that a squadron would be 'stood down' after 14 days to allow exhausted crews and maintainers to recover. However, as ever, assumptions aren't always quite right.

Our squadron sailed with 9 aircraft, plus 2 additional 'Fleet Immediate Reserves', making a total of 11. We sailed with 14 crews. Once the two FIRs were sent across to Hermes, we were at or near the 1.5 crews per aircraft target. However, as I've previously posted, we were tasked with a 'Ripple 3 ASW plus a 1 line Surface Search' requirement. This 'upped the ante' quite considerably. It also became abundantly clear that were were not going to be able to stand down after 14 days. It's a mark of the absolutely outstanding leadership that our ship and squadron enjoyed, the endurance and excellence of our crews, plus some remarkably well judged decisions on engineering and manpower management, that our squadron maintained the 'ripple' for around 72 days. Yes, seventy-two days. The only major break I can remember is one night when the rain and hail was so torrential that the leading edge strips were flayed off all our rotor blades. I came on watch to find the hangar full of aircraft, water, and maintainers working feverishly to get new strips glued on. During that night, we recovered from no serviceable aircraft to seven, rebuilding the 'ripple' as we went.

The Flag did try to stand us down at least twice at around the 14 day mark. On both occasions, no sooner had we shut down than we were told that we had to get airborne again.

The professionalism and resilience of our aircrew was remarkable. As was the leadership displayed at all levels, from our legendary Captain J.J Black down the ship's execs and on to our Squadron CO and execs. We went down there with 9 aircraft, and came back with al our people and the same 9 cabs. I am telling the honest truth when I say that these 9 aircraft were not only fully in date for all servicing and fully serviceable, they were in a better material state than when they had sailed nearly months before. The performance of our maintainers was, once more, remarkable.

I hope these thoughts don't come across as a boast. I played a small role as a young Lieutenant aircraft engineer officer. The real credit belongs to our crews and maintainers who achieved a feat of flying and effort that will probably never be equalled.

However...my very Best Regards as ever to the maintainers and crew of today's Fleet Air Arm who would, I have absolutely no doubt, be able to replicate our efforts.

Engines

Last edited by Engines; 19th Oct 2019 at 17:17.