PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2019, 23:55
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MickG0105
Well, it is now quite difficult to know exactly what you made clear or what you said as it appears that some of your relevant posts have strangely now been deleted.
MickGO105,
I have not deleted anything, so I can't quote my original post, either.

But the gist of what I said, my interpretation of what I read in AW&ST, was that, in retrospect, in US, there has been several cases of stab problems that were being considered as possible MCAS incidents, although they were written up originally as stab or autopilot malfunctions.

I certainly did not state, or intend to imply, that whichever ones the article was talking about, had been confirmed as MCAS incidents in US.

What I have said, all along, is that it is my view, that treating the malfunction as a runaway stab should allow the aircraft to be hand flown, as was the case Bali - Djakarta the night before the Lion Air loss. That seems to have been the Boeing assumption at the original certification, that no special training was required because of MCAS. Simply, an MCAS malfunction should not have caused the loss of the aircraft.

I am also quite certain that, in hindsight, Boeing would have not treated the certification of MCAS as they did, as a minor enhancement ---- but I also don't understand why this one system addition should require a whole separate type endorsement --- see various comments about the alleged South West influence.

And I certainly don't agree with the view of a "very very well known North American based former airline Captain" that the whole aircraft is fatally flawed.

Tootle pip!!

Last edited by LeadSled; 18th Oct 2019 at 00:01. Reason: minor edit