PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 15th Oct 2019, 19:46
JPJP

Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by j3pipercub
So JPJP, I am pretty sure the crew did not disconnect the A/T in the ET accident? They left it auto? Anyone who has flown a 73 knows that almost all the memory items consist of either disconnecting AP and AT or the opposite. So why didn't they?
I don’t know if they left the A/T on. I suspect you’re correct. You’re also correct that the UAS and STR items all call for both to be off.

As to the ‘why ?’ The NTSB will give us the best answer. My guess is task saturation and loss of situational awareness. The PF had an ASI reading that was wildly incorrect, a stick shaker and a clacker going off (stall and over speed). Incorrect altitude, etc. Without a cross check he may not have an awareness of his speed. As we know; they had two separate and serious conditions with multiple alerts.

The irony is this; if the PF has asked for ‘Flap 1’ and said “your airplane”. It would have been over - No more MCAS event. The right side of the cockpit was operating normally and they would have had full access to trim. I’m not advocating this as a solution, or a procedure. However, it does starkly emphasize the difference between a secret system, with no training or understanding versus an understood system. And hindsight being 20/20.