PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Icelandair Maxes ferried to Spain with flaps 1?
Old 15th Oct 2019, 07:53
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by A and C
These forums are fed by disaster negative thinking, I offer the following theory as a counter to the usual pessimistic view of those who post on these pages and like some posts above have no hard evidence to base it on.

Boeing must be quite close to a fix for this problem by now and while not wanting to say much until the authorities approve this fix are getting the aircraft gathered together in places that most of the work can be done without using hangar space. After all the weather in Iceland to northern Canada over the winter would considerably slow a work team down without the aircraft being hangared.
There are zero facilities in the boneyard parking at Alice Springs. BIRK, in the few times I have been in the winter didn’t strike me as that cold...maybe -2°. Air Canada has plenty of hangar space, so what would be the reason to try to avoid using it?

I enjoy a good train wreck story as much as the next disaster maven, but I haven’t yet seen Boeing communicate a cogent plan to address the concerns of regulators and operators. I have my suspicions that Boeing is still trying to address MCAS while leaving the evidently inadequate manual trim system untouched. If a retroactive fix for the trim wheels is mandated, then it follows that Boeing will be exposed to providing 7000+ NG fixes too.

But sure, I fully expect the Max to fly again sometime in my lifetime.