PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collins wins USAF Ejector seat contest
View Single Post
Old 14th Oct 2019, 07:57
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by KelvinD
It is interesting to note (or perhaps infer) from the Air Force notes that they probably have a better handle on ejector seat design and production than the company that invented them!
I'm not sure that's what it's saying. I read it as Collins being the preferred bidder (protectionism), so were made privy to the detailed requirement long before anyone else. MoD does this frequently, often as a result of lobbying by a local MP who happens to be a defence minister. But it has also been known to do the dirty on UK companies, on one notorious occasion making made sure a French company had a 3 year jump when bidding for a new radio design. It is quite common to issue an Invitation to Tender, and supply the answer to the favoured company. Another tactic is to say the testing can only be done one seat/radio/whatever at a time, and the favoured bidder is first in line. Then, when they are done, award the contract on the grounds that only their kit is mature enough. It is seldom a level playing field and Martin-Baker aren't the first to be shafted. The chances are their product is more advanced than Collins'. But I agree with your assessment of them. After all, only a sadist could design the ****** RF Translator in the 618T HF.