PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rebranching before phase two training (RAF Officer)
Old 13th Oct 2019, 20:23
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BVRAAM
Apply to the Fleet Air Arm - they recently raised their Pilot age limit to 34. Do it quickly before your CBAT expires, I'd suggest to call them first thing Monday morning.
If you really want to be a military helicopter pilot, it shouldn't matter what uniform you wear - you're fighting the same enemy...

EDIT: I say this as somebody not too far from being in your shoes, but I think it goes without saying that IF it is possible for you to join the Royal Navy this late in to your RAF application (you say you have accepted an IOT offer), then if I were you, I'd start to think of a very good explanation for your sudden desire to fly in the Fleet Air Arm, and your reasoning needs to be more complex than simply, "I just want to fly helicopters."

Like in any job, your prospective employer wants to be confident that you're committed to working for them, and loyalty and commitment in the military means everything, as does integrity. How both Services perceive your integrity, depends if you come across as a spoilt brat who couldn't get your way - and since integrity is one of the principles of security, will either Service really want you involved with their most secretive toys? Especially RPAS, which requires EDV Clearance before you get near the OCU.

It's something to think about - make sure you know everything you can know about the FAA as well, because it's a given that, if it's possible for you to go to Dartmouth, they will want you to have knowledge of their Service before letting you in.
If you get this wrong, not only do you risk never being a military helicopter pilot (why would the AAC take you with a bad reputation from the other two Services?), but you will also risk never being a Military Officer - the RN could say no and the RAF may retract their offer - they could simply give your place to somebody who passed the fitness, medical and the CBAT, but didn't quite do as well as you at interview, but is fully committed to being an Officer in the Royal Air Force. Is it worth it?
Yeah, you say that as an older guy who has, presumably, been to war.

Younger guys who haven't been, want to know what it is like. Sitting in a GCS in Las Vegas or Lincolnshire is not "going to war" by any reasonable definition. Although the former location is freaking excellent if you're single.....
I will probably be the same as you in 20 years from now, but at the moment, like the OP, I'd much rather have "skin in the game." That life experience would be invaluable.
Have you been smoking something???