PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Byron Bailey, The Australian, MCAS
View Single Post
Old 13th Oct 2019, 04:06
MickG0105

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Megan,
Whilst I don'r have the quotes to hand, several articles in Aviation Week and Space Technology, which have been exhaustively covering the issue, have mentioned same. They never received any publicity at the time, because the crews involved just ran the uncommended stab trim checklist, as did the lost Indonesian aeroplane's crew the night before, Bali to Djakarta.
I don't always agree with Byron Bailey, but, on this occasion, I do.
Tootle pip!!
Megan is bang on the money, there's no evidence that any US crew ever experienced an erroneous MCAS activation, leave alone ran the Runaway Stab NNC. There were a couple of reports after Lion Air 610 that US MAX crews had encountered an unusual nose down trim command but because they had occurred with the AP engaged none were ever connected to MCAS. Moreover, there's no record of any US crew that had encountered said unusual nose down trim commands using the Runaway Stab NNC; the AND trim command was momentary and correctable. One of the incidents was written up on the ASRS by both the Captain and FO as ACNs 1597286 and 1597380.

With regards to the Lion Air 43 crew, the one with the extra crew in the jump seat, there's no evidence that they actually treated that as a runaway and ran the relevant NNC. They listed the NNCs that they had run (Airspeed Unreliable and ALT DISAGREE) and Runaway Stab wasn't mentioned.

It would appear that Byron is back to his old trick of just making stuff up.

Last edited by MickG0105; 13th Oct 2019 at 06:34. Reason: Typo correction