PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Vintage Aviator 2019-2020 season
View Single Post
Old 12th Oct 2019, 02:48
Kiwithrottlejockey

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by India Four Two
A great photo. The Tiger Moth looks out of place - way too modern!
The Tiger Moth was used as a camera ship so Gavin Conroy could take a series of photographs of the RE.8, the FE.2B and the Bristol Fighter in line-astern formation.

I've seen some of the photographs he took looking back from the Tiger Moth with the three TVAL aircraft stacked at different altitudes so it was a head-on view but they were all in the picture.

The pilot of the Tiger appeared to be flying from the front cockpit, while twisted around sideways so he could keep formation with the three aeroplanes behind him while Gavin took his photos from the rear cockpit, looking backwards.

The resulting photographs are absolutely spectacular and no doubt they will be appearing in various aviation magazines over the next few months.

I haven't had a chance to take a detailed look at my own photographs yet and I'm off to catch a train to Wellington where I'll be staying for the rest of the weekend, but I'll start sorting through them in the hotel this evening.

The weather is now showing signs of deteriorating in Wairarapa (as forecast) but the weather is supposed to clear by tomorrow morning, so they should get in another full-on day of flying tomorrow.

Most of the flying this morning was the pilots getting reacquainted with the aeroplanes after a break of several months from flying them. Lots of touch & goes and generally getting the feel of them again.

By next month's flying weekend, they should be getting back to lots of formation flying and actually showing the aircraft off to those of us lucky enough to be at Hood Aerodrome.