PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Could Aviation be part of the climate change solution?
Old 11th Oct 2019, 22:36
Grebe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Busbuoy
Using hydrogen instead of hydrocarbons would certainly eliminate the CO2 production but burning the fuel mostly used today, JET A-1, already produces about 1.4 tonnes of water vapour per tonne of fuel burned. Atmospheric O2 contributes the additional mass. The process also creates over 3 tonnes of CO2. Variations in existing atmospheric water vapour content determine whether contrails form and indeed whether they persist. Interestingly if the right conditions exist for contrails to persist, vast amounts of additional atmospheric water vapour will condense and freeze on the ice crystals that make up contrails. Some measurements have determined that 1 tonne of burnt jet fuel can lead to 200 tonnes of contrail forming.
I'm still researching this next statement but...my understanding of contrail formation is that the formation process is dependent on the presence of particles of soot in the exhaust plume that act as condensation nuclei. No hydrocarbons, no soot, no contrail.
my understanding of contrail formation is that the formation process is dependent on the presence of particles of soot in the exhaust plume that act as condensation nuclei. No hydrocarbons, no soot, no contrail.
Nope - they ( engines ) may help or hinder certain contrails , but contrails form from other areas of the airplane- dependent on local conditions. Wingtips re a prime area along with some protrubances which change ' local ' air pressure ( slipstream) . They can be ' stopped' by certain chemicals introduced in the slipstream or also by changing altitude and speed.