PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 13:13
Captain-Random

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I started flying at 16 And finished all my training at 24 with first time flight test passes and a low 80’s average pass mark on the ATPL’s including 3 failures.

£70k & 100% self funded the training by working 70-90 hour weeks over 3 jobs.

3 months later I was shotdown in flames at a Ryanair interview after lying about passing all my exams first time over the phone (not sorry I did it, who wants to be assessed by an admin person on the phone from Amsterdam?)

Another 3 months went by and I had an interview for the Jet2 pilot apprentice. Passed then interview no problem but messed up the sim. My fault, but I didn’t have the cash to pay for sim prep

After another 3 months of no joy and listening to “oh my neighbours grandson went to CTC and now he’s got a job with EasyJet” I left the UK with £3k in my pocket and went travelling for, what was supposed to be, 6 months which turned into the best 2 years of my life in New Zealand. I was offered visa sponsorship in a non flying role but turned it down to come home and restart my job search.

After 10 months back in the UK I finally got my break and now I fly Turbo props for an airline in the UK.

I know of a few training mates who are still unemployed 5 years after qualifying.

The main reasons why is because they’re:
not prepared to move away from their hometown
not prepared to take a pay cut
not prepared to flying anything less than a 737
family life has taken over the dream

If you have the passion you’ll get there. The reason why so many succeed is because others can’t be bothered to put the effort in which leaves more opportunities for those who can.