PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crew screening at airports
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 10:02
Sleeve Wing

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cjhants
I used to regularly go through LHR control posts as airside staff, and nearly always mixed with flight crews. Some security staff seemed to take delight in making it difficult for crew. I never seemed to get singled out for the same sort of scrutiny.
With a tools of the trade pass I could take plenty of dangerous stuff airside but not a bottle of water!
So it still goes on ?
In the past, on a stormy day reporting from the hotel at GLA, a stroppy Scots jobsworth informed me that my ID wasn't visible. I apologised, showed it and put it back inside my soaking wet uniform mac to walk out to my aeroplane. He shouted that it should remain outside. I put it on view again until I reached the door to go airside and then did up my collar again to face another soaking. He ran after me and proceeded to dress me down in front of other staff and passengers next to the crew channel.
I then "had words" and walked out to my aeroplane. He was last seen, with his apparent "manager", standing drenched at the bottom of the steps where I had the senior steward refuse them boarding. I had an aeroplane to get out on time and it wasn't going to be the easiest of trips.
On another occasion at Teesside, my crew and I were invasively searched (You know, for the blokes, fingers too far down the top of you trouser belt) to the degree that one of my cabin staff was in tears at the way she was treated. All this while some Irish guys with wheelbarrows working airside were passing unhindered along a parallel channel.
What's wrong with these people ?