PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 10th Oct 2019, 00:35
CurtainTwitcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-VASIS Thank you for enlighten post.

For anyone want to review the current state of sleep research, a great place to start is Matthew Walker's "
Why We Sleep Why We Sleep
".

Walker was interviewed in a 3 part podcast interview by Peter Attia to get the essence of his research, in particular the metabolic and cognitive effects of sleep deprivation
#47 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part I of III: Dangers of poor sleep, Alzheimer’s risk, mental health, memory consolidation, and more
#48 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part II of III: Heart disease, cancer, sexual function, and the causes of sleep disruption (and tips to correct it)
#49 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part III of III: The penetrating effects of poor sleep from metabolism to performance to genetics, and the impact of caffeine, alcohol, THC, and CBD on sleep

My take away from the Walker book and the podcasts is that the science of effects of lack of sleep are going in only one direction, that is the more the science emerges, that greater the negative effect detected. As far as I am aware, there is no research that suggests extended wakefulness has any positive or beneficial effects on either short or longterm cognitive performance or health.

JamieMaree, you call bullsit on long term health effects, do you have any research to support your position? I will flip you question the other way, the scientific onus is on you to prove that routine extended wakefulness is safe.