PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rebranching before phase two training (RAF Officer)
Old 9th Oct 2019, 22:14
Easy Street

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by IOTQUERY
I’m hoping somebody with experience may be able to offer some advice.

I have accepted an offer to enter IOT in the RPAS branch, which is great. However, being a rotary pilot was always the dream - I just happen to be half a year too old for the mainstream pilot branch upon entry.

With that in mind, how feasible is it considering the current climate to transfer branch after graduating Cranwell?

I understand that you are able to rebranch before phase two behinds however is it relatively unheard of?

I passed with a strong aptitude score for Pilot.
Two questions. Why would the age limit suddenly cease to apply simply because you had passed IOT? Why would the RAF create a gap in its RPAS pipeline while adding an extra student to the waiting list for pilot training? By all means ask the question but I suggest that good fortune (for instance, a well-timed mass exodus of student pilots) would be required. Don’t set yourself up for disappointment.

If you are prepared to take a longer view then the chances are much greater. As an experienced RPAS pilot with bags of operational experience, good annual reports, and perhaps approaching a career decision point, you will have leverage that puts you in a much better position to engage with your career manager and negotiate a sub-branch change that retains your experience in the Service. It might not be the best way of moving up the ranks, but if your dream is to fly military helicopters then it’s your best shot IMHO.