PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 incident wrong lever in haste
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2019, 15:20
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Similar story except on short final in a Lincoln bomber at Townsville in the late 1950's. The pilot under instruction was our Commanding Officer, Wing Commander Cy Greenwood. He was a former prisoner of war of the Japs in 1943 after being shot down in his Beaufighter while strafing Jap float planes at Timor. The Japs weren't best pleased so they tortured him.

We were doing dual circuits in the Lincoln when he asked for full flap on final for runway 02 Townsville. The flap lever was a push/pull vertical selector with a neutral position after each flap selection.

I selected full flap for him and once the gauge showed full flap I selected the lever back to neutral as SOP. On very short final the Lincoln started to sink rapidly and fell out of the sky and bounced heavily.
The CO said "WTF" and firewalled all four engines and went around. Aircraft didn't have stick shakers in those days. The CO then asked for flap retraction as part of the go-around. I went to select flaps up then realised to my chagrin the flaps were already up.

Turned out when the CO had asked for full flap on final, I had inadvertently missed the neutral position of the flap lever and instead had selected flaps up. So the full flap landing turned out to be a flaps up landing but without increasing the Vref speed. The result was very heavy landing and very loud oaths by the CO and grovelling apologies by self the instructor..