PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 7th Oct 2019, 16:06
ARealTimTuffy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yanrair
Dear Tim
I am not kidding anyone. Those accidents you speak of led, through a painful learning process to a situation in 2017 when nobody (maybe <4 persons) died on a recognised civil airliner world wide.
And that was the lowest point in history for crashes. It came at massive cost but the lessons were learned. My problem is that we are in the process of UN-learning them so rapidly that in no time it will be back to the bad old days for a very different cause. Lack of training.
In the early days it was lack of knowledge, poor designs, and poor CRM in particular.
In my first decade our airline, one of the best, lost a plane per annum pretty much and that was considered exemplary. Why - its very dangerous up there old chap. Jolly well done.
Then in my second decade we lost 2
In my third and fourth we lost none - no fatal accidents.
That is some change over 40 years.
Cheers
Yan
My point exactly. We learned from the mistakes those of the past have made. Many of them foolish. Let’s not “go back to the good old days”. Let’s move forward with training and experience all around.

I do disagree that these 2 particular accidents were about lack of training. Although that is still an issue. I see these accidents as design deficiencies that only appeared when they hit the limit of human cognitive resources. There is only so much attention that one person can pay to anything at one time. Pickpockets take advantage of this.

Both these accident crews were at the limit. How did the previous flight make it home? I’m going to say not because the 3rd pilot was a gift to aviation but that there was more cognitive resources available. And his resources weren’t being used up flying the aircraft freeing him up to diagnose and analyze the problem.