PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAX’s Return Delayed by FAA Reevaluation of 737 Safety Procedures
Old 7th Oct 2019, 15:27
yanrair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ARealTimTuffy

I’m all for more training, but let’s not kid ourselves. Yesteryear was not all that pretty either. Go take a look at the accident reports from the 70s and 80s and even into the 90s. There were a lot more crews back then flying perfectly good airplanes into the ground on a semi regular basis, then there are today.
Dear Tim
I am not kidding anyone. Those accidents you speak of led, through a painful learning process to a situation in 2017 when nobody (maybe <4 persons) died on a recognised civil airliner world wide.
And that was the lowest point in history for crashes. It came at massive cost but the lessons were learned. My problem is that we are in the process of UN-learning them so rapidly that in no time it will be back to the bad old days for a very different cause. Lack of training.
In the early days it was lack of knowledge, poor designs, and poor CRM in particular.
In my first decade our airline, one of the best, lost a plane per annum pretty much and that was considered exemplary. Why - its very dangerous up there old chap. Jolly well done.
Then in my second decade we lost 2
In my third and fourth we lost none - no fatal accidents.
That is some change over 40 years.
Cheers
Yan