PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2019, 00:32
Gipsy Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few years ago, I flew from Pompano in "Fuddy Duddy", the EAA's B17. I happily would have flown in this aircraft regardless of its condition and considerations of personal safety. To be able do so was a singular privilege, given that the aircraft represented so much effort and sacrifice in a war which I remember but in which I was too young to participate.

I am contemptuous of the Australian advocating withdrawal of old machines from public conveyance. The B17 was a bomber, a weapon of war and never intended as a passenger carrier, so expecting the two roles in some way to be analogous is just silly. Any prospective passenger, unless totally half-witted, would understand the difference and make a judgement accordingly. To deny this sort of experience to those who would benefit from it as a function of our risk-averse, nannying, pseudo safety culture is quite wrong.

I'm deeply saddened by the loss of these people and an aircraft that did so much to win the freedom we take for granted today.