PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 6th Oct 2019, 04:50
fdr

Received 856 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Australopithecus
Re take-off boost. We used to try to get away with 42”. The wastegate controller is a single rotary dial with settings of 1 through 8, and 9 & 10 through a guarded detent. The turbochargers were working when I last saw her 32 years ago.
By no means definitive observation: I have never operated a radial on 100LL above 42” unless it had water injection. I’m sure that was based partly on superstition and partly on chief mechanics’ wisdom. No experience on that since the Reagan years.
With the power checks we do on the T28B, C & D's, they are always down on the lower limit from my experience when operating 100LL. The performance charts are on the higher octane levels. I have never come across a value that gives a correction value for operating on lower octane fuels. Flying the blender is a leisurely affair.

Operationally, losses will occur with these aircraft, but they provide a unique link to the most momentous event in human history. Assuming that those that forget are destined to repeat, risk related to ongoing public display is less than the risk of loss of remembrance. It is chilling to see these aircraft fly past at any time, whether at a show or just passing by on a transit or experiential flight. Personally, at 15 I went up with a fairly famous B25, mustang and T28B, and my parents were well aware of the risks involved and fully supported my decision to go fly. The loss is always tragic, but the loss is also a part of the history now, Condolences to all concerned, but the people involved, flying and as passengers were a part of something much greater than the individual, and that should be respected, preserved, and continued.

Learn to minimise risk, but risk is a certainty of life that we accept in every daily action we take.

respectfully,