PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a small plane over water, from Northern Ireland to Scotland?
Old 6th Oct 2019, 01:20
owenc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marchettiman
Might I suggest that the OP goes for an initial Class 1 Medical examination and shows the quack copies of his posts on this thread?
what? Justify what you are saying.
Originally Posted by 150 Driver
Do your planning, know your numbers find your best glide speed and rate of descent at that speed. All should be in the poh and be practised !

Let’s assume for illustration 60knots and 500 feet per minute.

so if engine cuts you have a glider

if you are at 10,000 feet as you mention that gives you 20 minutes before your feet are wet (10,000/500). It will be less than that due to prop drag but for illustration I’ll leave it at 20

in 20 minutes at 60 knots you’ll travel 20 nautical miles. (Airspeed not groundspeed, I’ll let you do the headwind/tailwind calculations) As the crossing is - your number - 28 (statute/nautical ?)miles the furthest you are from land is 14 miles.

All of which concludes that the risk of getting wet as a result of engine failure is mathematically non existent at 10,000 feet

still leaves in flight fire, structural problems causing ‘immediate’ descent etc as risks

Personally I wouldn’t bother going as high as 10,000 feet, work the algebra backwards and you can calculate your personal minimum safe height, and how many miles in the middle you are exposed at.
In my view the biggest danger is haze and being unable to distinguish sea from sky. An older and wiser pilot than me took to one side just after my ppl and recommended not to do a channel hop until after getting an IRR.

I followed that advice, understood why on the first time I did it and pass it on whenever I can !

Safe flight
Thank you. The distance to Mainland Scotland is 21 Statute miles from outside Larne, where did I say 28? (I know that Kintyre is 12 miles but that would involve a lot of island hopping to get to the true mainland)

Where are you getting the 60 Knots figure from? If we were cruising along at 150 knots and had an engine failure would this not be a starting point?

Weather on that crossing is my main concern. I know from experience that it is difficult to get a time with decent weather over the North Channel.

It’s not rare for there to be fog in the North Channel in a High Pressure situation. In fact, often it is the case where you can see the Mull of Kintyre from our NE coast on a cloudy day, but not on a sunny, calm day. So clear conditions are rare.

Perhaps as a trial run we could try going out 5-10 miles and turning around just to see what the conditions are like and what we would be setting ourselves in for.
Originally Posted by Piper.Classique
Well, this whole thread is making me wonder a bit. Because the OP has been posting his intentions of a career in aviation, but it's his father who is the pilot, and something sounds a bit odd. Especially some of his replies, in particular a total lack of concern over major political changes in the near future, many of which will almost certainly have an impact on all kinds of aviation and border crossings. Which when combined with an aircraft cruising speed which isn't usual in a first aircraft purchase and a, shall we say, extreme caution over a short over water segment, makes me want to know what is going on. So I just wondered what this aircraft is.
I’m not going to provide the type of plane as my fathers name and address appears when the registration is put in and I would rather keep that private thanks.

I don’t want to be crucified by the people on this forum either, you’ve given me enough digs at this stage.