PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying a small plane over water, from Northern Ireland to Scotland?
Old 5th Oct 2019, 01:59
owenc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wacits
There are quite a few microlight flexwings and 3 axis which fly from Folkestone to cap Gris Nez ( 22 miles) which is the shortest distance over water to France. Most travel speed is 65-120 mph. Most will travel over the water at 80mph with life jackets etc. Grant it the channel is busy and we probably fly at 4500’ possible glide back to land. North Sea less busy.
in June 2019 a group on the fly-UK did the 28 mile hop from Scotland to Northern Ireland I cannot remember the exact route taken. Again these were in microlights.all had immersion suits just on I believe.
Yes. I have watched these on YouTube, although they seem to take a while? One took 45 minutes to cross.
Originally Posted by Paul Lupp
Ho hum.....
just out of interest, what are your approximate ages?
20 and 50?
50 and 80?

This could make a difference to thinking and reaction times if things go awry.

There is some good advice (dare I say it, excellent advice) above already including having a plan that includes turning back if one or both of you starts to get concerned about carrying on.

In simple terms if the plane is well maintained, checked thoroughly before the flight, the weather is good, then there is no additional risk over the 30 mile flights that you have already made.

One other thing I would add is when in flight, don't get distracted by "idle chit chat", both of you should be paying attention at all times to what is going on in, and around, the plane.
Good luck and safe flying !
Thank You. I am in my 20’s and he is 60+. But yes absolutely, there would be no discussion, we would need to be watching for clouds/disturbances and for other aircraft.

Given the risks involved we wouldn’t be best served sitting chatting.
Originally Posted by Maoraigh1
The water now will be as warm as it gets. If you leave it till next year, there may be additional problems, depending on whether Northern Ireland and Scotland are both in the UK, both in the UK and EU, or other possibilities.
P.S. I've flown a Jodel DR1050 to Ireland 3 times. Prestwick to Dublin Weston with Donegal to Inverness return, and twice Inverness to Sligo and return. Not taking the shortest overwater track.
I am a British citizen and discussed divergence would only be agriculture etc not aviation.

We certainly don’t intend on taking anything longer than 20 miles over water. We are not experienced in this, so we would want to take as little risk as possible.