PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B17 crash at Bradley
View Single Post
Old 4th Oct 2019, 14:27
Australopithecus

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Tailspin45
1. Can any of the former B17 crewmewbers here confirm that with two engines out a Fort will not accelerate (much less climb) if the airspeed is below 115-120 MPH? Not suggesting that was an issue here, but it would be a seldom seen gotcha. I read such was the case years ago when I was flying a C-45 and wondered if the Twin Beech had a similar surprise. It didn't, because that drag hole occurred near or below Vmc, apparently. (Anyway, a Beech 18 definitely wouldn't climb with two engnes out.)

2. Also, does anyone have a handle on the performance curves for these birds with the turbochargerers uninstalled? Used to be, according the Dash One, you'd push the balls to the wall, and then adjust MP with the turbo wheel to 47.5" MP for54,000 max gross takeoff. So at a typical 45-47,000 pounds ride gross would a conservative 41" without a turbo be equivalent?
I never did a practice two engine out departure...the loss of one engine was enough of a balancing act. The -17 is a portrait in drag, so acceleration was always a slow affair.

The C-45 would climb (oh so slowly) on one if you were faster than about 90 when you punched the feather button.

Re take-off boost. We used to try to get away with 42”. The wastegate controller is a single rotary dial with settings of 1 through 8, and 9 & 10 through a guarded detent. The turbochargers were working when I last saw her 32 years ago.
By no means definitive observation: I have never operated a radial on 100LL above 42” unless it had water injection. I’m sure that was based partly on superstition and partly on chief mechanics’ wisdom. No experience on that since the Reagan years.